Bequests, IRAs & Stocks

bequests anchor

For Bequests and Planned Gifts

Thank you for wanting to make House of Ruth’s mission a part of your legacy. Giving via bequest is a meaningful way to honor your commitment to women and children who have survived trauma, abuse, and houselessness.

You should consult an attorney in preparing your will. Sample language that may be helpful follows:

“I give and bequeath to House of Ruth, a Washington, D.C., nonprofit corporation whose federal tax identification number is 52-1054102 and whose address is 5 Thomas Circle, NW, 4th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20005, the sum of $____________ (or ________% of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate) to be used for the general operations of House of Ruth.”

In addition, there are several special vehicles for giving, called “planned gifts”, that may provide certain tax benefits. For example, you can set up a charitable gift annuity or irrevocable trust to pay you income for life; then, the principal may become a gift to House of Ruth. You may receive a current charitable gift deduction based on the value of your future gift. Please consult your tax or financial advisor for more information.

If you have an IRA, 401k, life insurance policy, or other accounts, you may be able to name House of Ruth as a beneficiary of these assets to support women and children as they rebuild their lives from abuse and houselessness. You may use this free online resource today to make important plans and receive step-by-step instructions to update your wishes. Please consult your tax or financial advisor for more information.

iras anchor

For IRAs

House of Ruth supporters may be able to use their retirement savings to support women and children rebuilding their lives from houselessness and abuse.

IRA-qualified charitable distribution (QCD) gifts may help to reduce your future tax burden and while helping you meet your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) for the current calendar year, all while making an impact.

  • To make a QCD gift, please contact your IRA administrator (Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard, Raymond James, etc.)
  • Request that your QCD be transferred to House of Ruth, 5 Thomas Circle NW, Fourth Floor, Washington, DC 20005.
  • Ask your IRA administrator to include your name and address for acknowledgment purposes.
  • Please also email to notify us of which company is sending the QCD, along with the approximate value, so we can be sure to send you an acknowledgment letter. (Oftentimes, the financial company does not include the donor’s name and address.)

stocks anchor

For Stocks

Download our stock transfer instructions here to send to your broker.

You may be able to maximize your tax benefits by donating stock that has increased in value and that you have held for more than a year. After making a stock donation, you’ll receive a letter of receipt from House of Ruth indicating the type and number of stocks contributed. Please contact your tax or financial advisor for more information on calculating the value of your contribution for tax purposes.

If you happen to have a Vanguard account, you can also easily transfer mutual funds to House of Ruth’s account. Once you log into your Vanguard account, type in “Give Shares or Securities to an Individual or Organization” in the search bar to find the online form to transfer shares to House of Ruth.

For more information, please contact our staff at or by phone at 202-597-5801.